Facebook Share

Pages

July 2, 2011

My Summer Project

I know it's been a while, But I'm finally back into Blogging again. What do I want to share first? My latest project of course!

While cleaning out my Grandma's condo, I found two 60- year old dressers that no one really wanted. I have to admit they were in pretty rough condition. Meanwhile, 3 months ago I had seen a brief picture in some magazine of a yellow and white striped dresser. Idea!

I have done some furniture re-finishing in the past, but these two dressers where definitely my biggest projects yet.

This Picture illustrates the steps we took to get from beginning to finish.
One Dresser was a dark blue with white drawers, and the second was a teal color.
1. We sanded, and then spray painted a primer on.
2. More Sanding, then a spray-painted anitque white to cover
3. More sanding, more spraying antique white
4. More sanding, then taping it off with green frog tape
5. Painted on Butter yellow with foam brushes
6. Still More sanding all over and on the edges to give it a worn and rustic look.
7. Finally 3 layers of a satin varnish. (With light sanding in between each coat of course) 

And that's it, about $45 and 6 weeks later, we have two newly re-finished dressers, ready for the beach house!

Here's some more pictures of the process along the way.







No comments: